Mandy's Musings

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Psalm a day

I've been trying to read a Psalm a day this month as part of my regular Bible reading. It has been really encouraging (as was Sunday's sermon on Ps 73).

Today was Psalm 19:
The Law of the Lord Is Perfect
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above [1] proclaims his handiwork.
2 Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words,
whose voice is not heard.
4 Their voice [2] goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.
In them he has set a tent for the sun,
5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber,
and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.
6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
and its circuit to the end of them,
and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, [3]
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure,
making wise the simple;
8 the precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
9 the fear of the Lord is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules [4] of the Lord are true,
and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
11 Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.

12 Who can discern his errors?
Declare me innocent from hidden faults.
13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins;
let them not have dominion over me!
Then I shall be blameless,
and innocent of great transgression.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Footnotes
[1] 19:1 Hebrew the expanse; compare Genesis 1:6-8
[2] 19:4 Or Their measuring line
[3] 19:7 Or blameless
[4] 19:9 Or just decrees


So much to ponder and be thankful to God about. Some random musings ...

* The clarity with which God testifies to his existence in this world by the sheer magnificence of creation is amazing. Yet it is also confronting to be reminded that the result of this revelation is that all who reject him are without excuse.
* How often do I reject God's law or think of it as burdensome rather than delighting in the way the law can revive me, make me wise and give me cause for rejoicing? How can I repent of this hardness and instead be shaped and molded by God's law?
* I wonder what the presumptuous sins which can have dominion over me are? Is it simply acting a failure to recognise God as God and carrying with me as King? Whatever they are, I am reminded of the power of sin to entangle and ensnare.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I love the way the psalmist constructs the metaphor of the splendor of the ways of creation with the wonder of the Law of the Lord. Could it be that the love of skies proclamation is found in the sweetness of the Lord's precepts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home