Mandy's Musings

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Never alone

I went to chick's chapel at MTC today ... BW was leading.

We sang this song called 'Never Alone' written by Simone who has commented over here once or twice. It was the first time I'd ever sung it and I was struck by the way it captures the truth of what Jesus has done for on the cross without feeling really individualistic. After some internet trawling this afternoon I was able to find the words in full. I'm hopeful I'm not breaking any copywrite laws by posting the words to it here ... I'll remove the words and just keep the link if I find out I'm wrong.

Never Alone

We’re not alone, for Christ is here
Immanuel our God come near
We’re not alone, for to our world
Jesus has come, eternal word.
And as he speaks, our souls laid bare
Naked, ashamed, sin is made clear
And yet he clothes us in his love
Never alone, Christ is with us.

The longest walk, earth’s darkest day
Noise from the crowd and mounting pain
His heavy load of grief and shame
Breathless that we should breathe again.
“Father forgive them,” comes his cry
Blackness descends filling the sky.
A creeping dread in every heart
Lost in the world now God departs.

The dawn will come, the sun will rise
Out of the grave we’ll see hope’s light.
Tomb opened wide, stone rolled away
Morning has come, a brand new day.
“He isn’t here,” the angel said.
“He is alive no longer dead.”
Our hearts are lifted, souls raised high
Christ is with us, Christ is our life.

Never alone is now our cry
In joy, in grief, in lonely sin.
Never alone for Christ is ours
He lives in us, we live in him.
And till we reach that final day
When fears are gone, cast far away
We live secure, trust in his love,
Never alone, Christ is with us.

SAR 2006

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • cheers, Mandy.

    Though that's not the final version. This song had 20+ rewrites before it was recorded. The emumusic site would give you the official version - though there are bits of this one I prefer.

    BTW - does anyone have issues with the final line of the second verse? I expected the theological police to pick me up on it, but they never did...

    By Blogger Simone R., at Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:39:00 am  

  • It is a lovely song alright - we'll have to give some thought to working it in. Maybe Christmas - it is about Immanuel after all.

    I don't mind the end of the second verse. If I was going to be picky, I'd go after the breathless line earlier: I love the fact that Jesus calls out in a loud voice as he dies - not breathless, defeated by the process of crucifixion, but triumphant. Your point is that he was dead, I presume... it just means the lines are out of chronological order, but I can live with that. (Maybe 'came his cry'?)

    Keep on writing though!

    By Blogger Anthony Douglas, at Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:12:00 am  

  • I thought 'breathless' worked fine. I really like it, though I haven't heard the music yet.

    I also don't have a major problem with 'God departs' - indeed, what the whole thing made me think about (again) is that Christ is both present (I will be with you always) and absent. We await (and yearn for) his return. But his present presence is spiritual, or rather, Spiritual. Another song it made me think of was Nikky Chiswell's The Spirit has come; we’re not alone/Cast away fear; Jesus is here.

    But the best bit about the song (amongst so many good points) it's about resurrection hope, not heaven when you die. Keep it up and more like it!

    PS Simone, could you provide a link to the final version please?

    By Blogger byron smith, at Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:53:00 pm  

  • Listen to it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hTvwSMNBCo&mode=related&search=

    read the words and/or buy it here:

    http://emumusic.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=66&osCsid=6e95bfd4f054f4e33dde61e93cd56c27

    Put it on your church's CCLI return and I get 3 cents (which I split with Philip who wrote the music!)

    By Blogger Simone R., at Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:35:00 pm  

  • d'oh! That didn't work.

    The second link address almost works. Just go to 'best sellers' on RHS of page.

    By Blogger Simone R., at Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:38:00 pm  

  • Thanks for that Simone - I couldn't find it on the emu site when I was trying to find the words! Now to convince Mike to let us sing it at TBT :)

    By Blogger Mandy, at Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:46:00 pm  

  • We're doing our 3 cents worth - introducing it as we do a series on Jonah next month. It's a brilliant fit.

    By Blogger Anthony Douglas, at Friday, July 27, 2007 9:32:00 am  

  • Hey Mandy,
    glad you were there on Tues.

    I thought we did do this one at TBT, but now you have me thinking that perhaps we don't.

    (am left pondering which sphere of my life I know this song from...)

    By Blogger -bw, at Friday, July 27, 2007 11:48:00 am  

  • Good song!

    Great to chat today Mandy. Thanks for the encouragement and challenge in what you said. It has helped me in my thinking and rebuking of myself!!

    Appreciate it as always. See you in a couple of weeks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:50:00 pm  

  • Hi Mandy. I know you posted this AGES ago, however, we sang "Never alone" at church on sunday and it has been in my head all week. But as it gets further away from Sunday (now Wed) my memory keeps loosing the lyrics.

    I did a google search "never alone he isn't here the angel said" (because I love this line in the song) and the first result that came up was your blog!! Hillarious! Anyways, hope you're well!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:39:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home