Mandy's Musings

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ministry and Meals

I was describing my week to a friend the other night and was struck by how much of the ministry I did was around meals. From lunch at my place with the Student Ministers, to a BBQ with the Elders of The Bible Talks, coffee with the wife of one of the ministry team, Bible Study launch with dinner, dinner with some of the women from The Bible Talks, to afternoon tea at my place. That's all this week!

Thus it always makes me laugh, although I realise it is slightly inappropriate, when I read Romans 14:17 and other passages like it. For although gospel ministry is not about eating and drinking, as Christians we seem to be unable to get together without eating. Yet on the other hand, breaking bread and eating together was characteristic of the early followers of Jesus (see Acts 2). Food and fellowship go hand in hand.

In a culture where we see the prevalence of two extremes, where people either don't eat, obsessed with diets and the perfect body, or overindulge such that obesity is a growing problem in Australia even amongst children, how can we as Christians be distinctly different in the way that we live?

image ©Michael Bretherton

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Exactly. From one persoective the gospel is all about eating and deinking (the forbidden fruit, the OT sacrifices, manna and water in the wildreness, the Lord's Supper, the Wedding Feast of the Lamb).

    By Blogger Marc Lloyd, at Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:48:00 pm  

  • Yes, I have often thought that it would be difficult to move in Christian circles if you had an eating disorder. There are certain things we keep absent from most Christian gatherings, eg alcohol, because some individuals have a problem with them, and yet we lay on the food, much of which is unnecessary eg supper, morning tea ... which can be difficult to resist. (I realise food isn't quite in the same category as alcohol - am just exaggerating my point). But as for how to do things differently as Christians, I don't really know except to ask whether we should perhaps do things more moderately (and minimise the wastage that often occurs as we farm leftovers out at the end of a Christian event) and with more regard to general health? (Not sure that idea would go down so well :) ...).

    By Blogger Ali, at Monday, February 12, 2007 1:05:00 pm  

  • It was you Ali that I'd had the conversation with about Christian circles and eating disorders.

    I do take your point about wastage, but is there also a place now for enjoying the good gifts that God has given us. So without pigging out, is it not appropriate and right for Christians to eat good food and enjoy it?

    I've often wondered whether giving healthy alternatives enough of a 'concession' - so offering fruit and vegetable sticks and healthy dip as well as raspberry and coconut cakes has regard for our brothers and sisters who may be watching what they eat. Is that not enough?

    By Blogger Mandy, at Monday, February 12, 2007 4:34:00 pm  

  • Hi Mandy,
    Oh, was it? So I have already been on my soapbox then :). By the way, please don't feel like I was making any kind of reference to your afternoon with the raspberry cakes AND vegetable sticks, which I certainly enjoyed (which was probably obvious!). And yes, I do think the healthy alternative is perhaps enough of a concession, and we might just have to use our self-control for the rest :). Maybe tangled up in the whole Christian thing is our desire to be hospitable and our notions of what we think that means. I know I certainly like to "put on a good spread" if I am having ppl over, or even organising a church event myself, because we see it as a way of serving or being generous and perhaps we feel like it reflects on us too.

    By Blogger Ali, at Monday, February 12, 2007 5:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home