Mandy's Musings

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Women and Self Esteem (Post #2)

The presenting problem

Issues of self-esteem are prevalent in the world in which we live. Kasey Chambers 2001 chart hit 'Not Pretty Enough' from the album: Barricades & Brickwalls struck a chord with many as she sang:
Am I not pretty enough?
Is my heart too broken?
Do I cry too much?
Am I too outspoken?

Don't I make you laugh?
Should I try it harder?
Why do you see right through me?

She expresses the cry for acceptance that many share. Here is a talented recording artist expressing concerns about her place in the world. And it seems that she is not alone.

Who hasn't ministered amongst women who seem to be godly and mature yet express a lack of belief in their own abilities to take on a new task? Who's never heard a woman express doubts about her worth or value? Who's never heard a woman compare herself to others around her and come up short?

We live in a world that is marred by the effects of sin. Pain and suffering are a reality that we will all face in this world. Failure (of at least some kind) is guaranteed. One expression of that is seen in what we call low Self-Esteem.

Next: The world's solution

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home