Mandy's Musings

Thursday, November 16, 2006

What's in a name?

Byron noticed the name change. Safetygirl has become Mandy's Musings.

I've been thinking a bit recently about names and what they say about people, especially reflecting on names in the Bible. I love the way that God sometimes changes people's names to reflect the task he has for them (think Abraham). Jesus is Immanuel, God with us.

While safetygirl is a nickname that a few dear friends were responsible for coining and I have used it as an email address for the last few years, I've never really liked it when anyone apart from them called me 'safetygirl'.

So I thought I'd go back to the name my parents gave me (well, what they have always actually called me even if they put Amanda on the birth certificate). As an interesting aside, Amanda means worthy of love, while my brother Kevin's name means beloved - something Mum & Dad didn't realise when they named either of us.

So from now on when you encounter me in cyberspace, I'll be plain old Mandy, just as I am face to face. And if you read my blog, you'll find me musing about God, life and everything else.

So welcome to Mandy's Musings.

8 Comments:

  • can you give us the origins of the nickname safetygirl?

    I kinda liked it, actually.

    By Blogger michael jensen, at Friday, November 17, 2006 3:34:00 am  

  • you're not plain, or old!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, November 19, 2006 3:22:00 am  

  • that last anonymous was me - Helen, who can't fingure out how else to leave comments, its a shame isn't it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, November 19, 2006 3:23:00 am  

  • Amanda... now there's a thought. Never really thought about you being an Amanda before. Kinda like calling bw by her full name... Kinda strange :)

    By Blogger Naomi, at Sunday, November 19, 2006 4:23:00 pm  

  • we know who you are, no matter what you call yourself.
    and we love you just the way you are. friend, cousin and godmother.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:14:00 pm  

  • Michael - the problem with the safetygirl story is that it is not even funny. I've put people to sleep trying to tell it. You really had to be there.

    Thanks Helen :)

    Naomi, just be warned that I am prone to ignore people who call me Amanda. Not cos I'm being rude, but because I don't realise they are talking to me!

    Anon #2 - I know who you are!!! Thanks necie :)

    By Blogger Mandy, at Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:23:00 pm  

  • oh, come on, a story, even a non funny one, would still be interesting, surely?

    By Blogger michael jensen, at Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:05:00 pm  

  • The origin of 'safetygirl'.

    When I was 7 if asked for my full name I would reply in one breath with 'Amanda, Mandy, Mouse, Moo, Sophie, Safety Curley'. Some need no explanation, but Mouse was my Mum's nickname for me, Moo was my Dad's and Safety was a derivative of Sophie, which my best friend from preschool had difficulty pronouncing, and as a result would call me 'Amanda Safety Curley' when she wanted my attention.

    At a dinner party with some friends. One calls me ASC. Another replies 'A? I don't get it'. Point out that Mandy is short for Amanda. Tell the story of my name when I was 7, speaking really quickly, such that 'Safety Curley' sounds like 'safetygirl'. Much laughter, and entry of 'safetygirl' into the guestbook but thought it would all get left there.

    Turn up to church later that week wearing an ordinary pair of jeans purchased at Miss Shop (Myer). Turns out there is a little tag on the back saying 'Safety Jeans'. one of the said friends from the dinner party notices, turns to other said friend in front of a large group of my friends 'the safetygirl is wearing safety jeans!'. More laughter, and the name kind of stuck.

    Now do you realise why I didn't want to bother to tell you!

    By Blogger Mandy, at Friday, December 01, 2006 4:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home