Mandy's Musings

Friday, June 16, 2006

Goodbye Oak Hill

Today is my last day at Oak Hill.

Where has the semester gone? I handed in my Australian Church History essay yesterday (one day before the deadline - how organised am I?) and now apart from trying to put together a few words to show I have done some work on my project this semester, I am on holidays.

So many things I have enjoyed about my time here. I was quickly made to feel really welcome, people didn't laugh too much at the way I spoke or the words I used and were really generous about inviting me to dinner and things to help me settle in. Christian family is really something special. Lectures were fantastic. I'm glad I did the hard work of two taught subjects while I was here - making the most of the opportunity to learn from people like Garry Williams and Mike Ovey. Theological discussions over coffee, much laughter with the gigling gaggle of girls, running early in the morning - so much to be thankful for about my time here.

I don't like endings very much - and for many I've had the pleasure of studying alongside this semester or getting to know at church, we will not meet again until Jesus returns in glory. While it can sound really trite, it is great that because we are in Christ, leaving is an ending of sorts but it is not final, because we will have the privledge of spending all eternity together in the presence of our great and glorious Father. In the meantime, let me encourage you to press on with the good work in his name. Continue to learn more and be better equipped to share with this dark and dying world the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ and life in His name. Live such honourable lives that the word of God is made attractive to those living in darkness. And by the power of the Spirit, continue to grow in godliness, living out the hope that we have.

12 Comments:

  • we will not meet again until Jesus returns in glory

    What if they keep reading your blog? Does that count?

    By Blogger byron smith, at Friday, June 16, 2006 6:33:00 pm  

  • PS Thanks Oak Hill for taking Mandy for a semester. It's been, er, quiet without her. ;-)

    By Blogger byron smith, at Friday, June 16, 2006 6:36:00 pm  

  • You missed the 'for many' ... but does reading a blog count as 'meeting?'

    How did your issues paper go? So looking forward to hearing the second semester ones.

    By Blogger Mandy, at Friday, June 16, 2006 6:52:00 pm  

  • We'll be glad to see you again, Mandy - and I'm not saying that just because you have a number of my books!

    Come and stay sometime - it will be great to catch up again.

    By Blogger Mister Tim, at Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:11:00 am  

  • How did your issues paper go?
    I enjoyed it. :-)
    Not sure about anyone else.
    If you've been reading my blog, you've probably seen more than half of it already.
    The whole Issues in Theology thing has been a hoot. I feel I got an unfair advantage - everyone else has to deal with my random and rambling semi-coherent questions.
    You missed the 'for many'
    Wasn't that the whole point of the LA bunfight earlier? :-)

    By Blogger byron smith, at Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:42:00 pm  

  • Mandy we will miss you lots - and I think technically we do mock you for your accent and the funny words you use...you must be just used to it now!
    Lots of love
    one of the gaggle!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:59:00 am  

  • Yay! You're coming home! Glad that (God willing) I don't have to wait until glory to see you again.

    Safe travels
    M1

    PS I think technically we mock your accent here too :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:19:00 pm  

  • All this anonymous mocking. Come and do it openly like me!

    By Blogger byron smith, at Monday, June 19, 2006 1:07:00 pm  

  • Mandy, kind comments & good advice! Thank you.

    Maybe Mandy just didnt notice she was being mocked so subtely and cleverly by the whilley English?

    Byron, I dont want to re open an old debate that we won, but were you trying to start a discussion there over "for many" or "for all", or was I reading too fast? :)

    By Blogger Marc Lloyd, at Monday, June 19, 2006 5:15:00 pm  

  • Just some gentle Aussie mocking, Marc. :-)

    NB I think you won in something of the same way that a politician 'wins' a filibuster - your opponents ran out of time to read the mass of responses and drifted off to do more important things. This doesn't necessarily mean victory, nor defeat. There were many interesting arguments, but one of the limitations of the blog format is that discussions tend to start and then drift off as the entry drops down the page.

    By Blogger byron smith, at Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:20:00 am  

  • To finally complete the debate I think Moore and Oak Hill should fund representitives to meet half way (say Singapore or Dubai).

    As I have asserted previously I have little to add to the debate so therefore propose I should go as chairman to ensure a fair fight!!

    By Blogger Big Pete, at Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:25:00 pm  

  • Mandy this is goodbye from England - the land where an undefeated football team is STILL cause for despair...

    By Blogger michael jensen, at Friday, June 23, 2006 11:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home