Mandy's Musings

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Running mates

I like to run. Lots. The further the better. I'm not very good, but I really enjoy it. A lifelong ambition has been to run an marathon. Not really sure why, but I always remember watching the marathon at the Olympics and Commonwealth Games on TV and thinking 'one day I'd like to do that'. I'd like to think I'm almost half-way there, having run 2 half-marathons in the last few years - all going well I'm aiming for another half in Sydney in September and then the Gold Coast Marathon in July 07.

One of the things I wondered about in coming to Oak Hill was who I would run with. I'd loved my running group from MTC (Hi Viv, Eric, Jon, Bill ...). Part of college life was the 6.15am meeting of runners on the corner of Campbell and Little Queen Sts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, trying to be quiet as we ran past Kara's room.

I did take some time to find some new running mates - I did some jogging on my own when I first arrived, and had the hope of some afternoon runs with the guys that never quite came off until one of them said: 'Dave & Tim's wives run nearly every day. They are pretty serious though and it is early in the morning.' And as they say, the rest is history. I got to meet Sarah and Jane and began to join them at 6am most mornings for our 3 miles 'around the block'. The first morning almost killed me - never being one for hills, the small hill at the park about half-way round was pretty tough. Then we got to the last section, and I realised it was pretty much straight up hill at about a 45 degree angle! It defeated me on the first go as I walked up the last 3 steps.

But that all seems like ages ago as I now chat as we run up that last hill (even if I have worked out that the best way to do it is to ask someone else a question as you start the climb!). On Saturday mornings we go for a longer run through Trent Park. I'm never quite sure exactly where we are as we trek through the woods, but take the chance to just enjoy the scenery - it is so green. Not quite the same as running alongside Sydney harbour, but pretty special in itself.

Here's a photo of Jane, Sarah and I taken at 6am this morning, just before we set off:

Being able to run is such a blessing. I was trying to work out if I could justify it biblically, but all I could think of was 1 Timothy 4:8 (ESV): 'for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come' which doesn't really help my point at all. But my morning runs have been something I am truly thankful to God for - the opportunity to get out and enjoy the cool crisp English mornings and to get to know Sarah and Jane. I've loved hearing about what they are doing and the fantastic opportunities they have at work with friends and collegues to share the gospel. I've even been able to test out essay plans and ideas on them (OK - I probably went too far when I was trying to explain perichoresis without losing my breath). Thanks God for giving me two new running mates!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home