Mandy's Musings

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Time to think

It never ceases to amaze me how 'busy' I can become. Sometimes I'm busy because of poor planning - having left things un-done, there is now only 2 hours left in which to do the said 3 tasks, so a frantic wave of activity ensues. Sometimes it is just a timing thing: the people I want to catch up with can all do it, as long as it is on a Monday ... so you flit from one thing to the next, never really settling in to each event. Other times it is because I purely can't say no!

And it worries me when it means I become too busy to think. To busy to just sit and stare into space and wonder what the possibilities are. To mull over that verse in scripture that is troubling me. My mind is so filled with the minute details that the big things get crowded out. It can mean that I make decisions on a pragmatic basis rather than seeking God's wisdom. That doesn't just worry me - it scares me.

And when I do take the time to reflect, i wonder how much of being 'busy' is about finding my identity in what I do. I must be important: I'm busy!

So today when I read Luke 10 and was reminded of the story of Mary and Martha, I was challenged to be less like Martha in the way I live, and more lke Mary, eager to sit at the feet of Jesus and learn from him. I was reminded also of Phil 4:7: 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to him, and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.'

My this next week be one filled with time to think, to reflect and pray.

Here's part of the passage:
Luke 10:38-42 (English Standard Version
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 4But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

3 Comments:

  • Mandy, Andrew PAterson here. Was looking at St Andrews site and found the blog, then you!

    Totally agree with the busy-ness thing. I find the same problem, being pragmatic rather than theologically thought out in the middle of the urgent. It's a horrible feeling.

    Unfortunately 'though, although it would be definitely better to do less and fit in more of God, in practice how hard is it to do that! We recently had a parish council meeting where all of the staff listed their roles.

    There were complaints we did too much but no hands to go up to take over some of the obvious things we shouldn't be doing!

    AP

    By Blogger Andrew Paterson, at Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:24:00 am  

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:11:00 am  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger PJ, at Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home